Sunday, March 23, 2014

While Finding The Reasons To Kill SNEHA

While Finding The Reasons To Kill SNEHA

I spend most of the evening trying to get over the humiliation that I had just suffered a few hours ago. It meant getting away from everyone who knew me and sulking somewhere alone. Friends never really cared to console or sympathize with me after a break up as they usually knew pretty well the reason for the break up. The rest would sneer at me as if I was a giant slug they just couldn’t get rid of.

It was in these moments of solitude and loneliness that I had begun to despise the world around me. There was no one I could really turn to, no one who really cared enough about me to understand or listen to me. It was in these moments that I really needed a friend and yet somehow it was in these very moments that my friends choose to leave me alone. There was of course a reason for that. I was the in house joker, the comedian whom they could always turn to for a few laughs. They loved to be around me because it usually meant few hours well spent on entertainment. That too without making their wallets any lighter. Also, my popularity with the girls ensured that I always had guys hovering around me hoping to get lucky. Without these traits, the world could care less for me.



I spent most of that evening sitting in Thaloor, a local bar, alone, sulking and guzzling all the alcohol I could. Thaloor wasn’t the most popular bar around Manipal and it was this reason that I choose to come here. Being one of the less frequented joints by the students, it often ensured animosity, which at this moment I craved. You could come here and have a drink alone without anyone bothering you.
Sitting alone there, I let my eyes rove around the room-a small, sullen atmosphered place with a few tables and chairs crammed around. It was the kind of place which only laborers, lower middle class men and unhappy students like me would dare to venture in. If I managed to get the life for which I was studying then I probably would never enter such a place again. Perhaps that’s one advantage of being a student. Even if your parents are well off and you have a sound economic back ground, it doesn’t matter where you spend your time. You could be having dinner at a local dhaba one night and eating at one of those posh restaurants the next night. Being a student gives you the license to do as you wish without any one looking at you and wondering whether you really belonged there. As a student, the world belonged to you. If my dad were ever to venture into Thaloor, let’s just say it wouldn’t be the most comfortable place in the world for him.

As I sipped my vodka, I set my eyes on a bit of a peculiar sight. At one of the tables, a girl sat all by herself, looking dejected and drinking what looked like to my half drunken eyes, a glass of vodka. Now girls drinking vodka in a bar was no unusual sight for me. But a girl sitting all by herself and sipping vodka that sure was unusual. Girls never drink alone. That right was reserved for the boys because boys drank on every occasion-boys get drunk when they are happy, boys get drunk when they are angry, boys get drunk when they are confused and boys definitely get drunk when they are sad. But girls-girls drink only when they are happy or on a social occasion. Girls had various other ways to convey their emotions than wasting time and money on getting themselves drunk and then rattling away anything that came to their minds to anyone who could see them.

So seeing this girl drinking all alone by herself surprised me. On closer inspection, I realized she looked familiar. She was from my college itself, a 2nd year student meaning she was a year junior to me. She was one of those pretty girls from the electronics and communication department my friends kept talking about. Anjali-I think that was the name. Anjali Shah. Last heard, she was seeing some guy from 4th year. They had been dating from 2 months into her 1st semester so that made the relationship about a year old now. And the only reason I could think of her sipping a glass of vodka all alone was because the relationship no longer existed. Well, if it was true and it would be confirmed by tomorrow morning, then that made two of us. Unless her pet dog had died. Girls are very particular about their dogs. More often than not, they love their dogs more than they love their boyfriends. And yet they say that all men are dogs. Girls-go figure.

Thanks to the vodka, Anjali’s beauty had managed to distract me for a little while. But it wasn’t long before I realized that she belonged to the species that had just slapped and humiliated me in front of the entire college-the female species. So after observing her for a little while I soon returned to my vodka and my dreams about how Sneha would get crushed over by a truck or get bombed somewhere in the middle of a desert, probably Iraq since there was where all the action was happening currently. Or maybe she would just die of thirst in the desert. That would be fun, watching her plead for water as all the life was taken out of her. Ahhh….such blissful dreams.

1 comment:

jiya mehta said...

Ummmm... Hw cn he think sooo badddd for sneha?? U knw wht nowww after reading first two parts i little hate rahul... Nd ANJALI... Yup i lv dat girl.. Nd wht abt dat species??? Brilliant one... Awesomeeeee...